Thursday, December 2, 2010

About the Digital Totem Project

Thank you for taking time to learn more about my project. The project is tentatively called Digital Totem. This project was started early in Fall of 2010. This project entails photographing totem poles in my home town of Haines, Alaska and tying them together with audio interviews of the artists who that carved them. The totem poles photographs will projected as part of an installed art piece.

I wanted to bring this unique forms of art to life. Many of the poles that I am looking to photograph appear to have been there for centuries, though they have been standing for less than 40 years. I will use the photographs of the art to illicit interviews based on the work.

The totem poles I am working with have been carved by Alaska Indian Arts, an art school in Haines, Alaska. This was an organization that my father was active in then and continues to carve for. I want to learn more about my father’s early art.